November 22, 2016

In the meantime...

Been busy, quite busy. I have some posts in the oven, regarding New Zealand mostly, but it seems like I will never finish them and this blog feels like it's slowly dying...

So I've decided to post another of my "creations", another figure skating video. This time, a tribute to Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot, my favourite figure skating pair, dancing to David Pfeffer's version of Time After Time.


Why this, why now?

Well, I've admired Aljona for a long time now, mmm... I think my soul was shaken, and a bit shattered, when she skated to Ennio Morricone's The Mission, together with Robin Szolkowy, back in 2007. I hadn't had the chance to enjoy them before because, well, they had almost just started their career together, and I was only 21 years old around that time, still blunt to the amazingness of internet (and YouTube was still in its infancy). Also, I'm from Spain, so there was close to no figure skating on television.

Going back to what I was saying, and quoting someone I read on the internet, I think Aljona is the goddess of pair skating. Of course, Robin has been a fundamental part of her success, but, sincerely, she is just awesome. I can't even put it into words. Furthermore, she's proven to love the sport (figure skating, of course) because she didn't want to retire when Robin did (after the OWG in Sochi 2014), and she's managed to find a new partner, Bruno Massot, for the pleasure of figure skating fans.

And here comes the big surprise. No one thought this would work out, no one thought something better than Aljona & Robin could come out of there, but it has. At least, from my perspective. Aljona & Robin were perfection and beauty, but Aljona & Bruno are humanity, love, friendship, ambition and just paradise on ice. Besides the technicalities (OMG, that twist!), I really think Bruno has been able to give something new and different to Aljona, and ingredient that was missing before, and that's super important and exciting. Of course, there's still a lot of work to do (hope they do it sooner than later), but I'm in awe of these two.

The highest twist on earth

So, Aljona got injured in Paris, in Trophee de France, almost two weeks ago, and I wanted to show them my support, and something else. They've been an inspiration for me in a lot of ways, and I can't explain what they mean to me in words, so I thought I could put together pieces of their programs, so I could showcase what they make me feel to the rest of the world. And at the same time, it will mean something else entirely to someone else, but that's the magic and the beauty of figure skating.

On a sidenote, I used the same music they used for their exhibition program last season. In that case (and in the lyrics), the theme is about romantic love, but that's not my case, I hope someone catched that.

:)

Hope you enjoy the snack. I promise I'll post something else soon...

In the meantime, if you enjoyed this post, maybe you want to glimpse these other two:

Nat

No comments :

Post a Comment